Death Certificate Request
Obtaining Certified Copies of Death Certificates
If the death record subject to your request is on file in the Lawrence City Clerk's Office, you can:
- Appear at the Office of the City Clerk, or
- Request a copy by mail [see below for mail request requirements and instructions].
I. Death Record Access Policy:
Access to restricted death records appearing on file with the Lawrence City Clerk’s Office may be limited by G.L. c. 46, sec. 2A.
The person requesting any record that may contain a statutory limitation will be notified in response to the request received. If applicable, further or additional identification or documentation will be requested with such notification.
Access to records not subject to any restriction provided by G.L. c. 46, sec. 2A are available to the public and may be requested in person.
II. Obtaining a Certified Copy of Death Records by Mail:
Please provide the following information with each request for a certified copy of a Death certificate:
- A letter providing the name and date of death for each person subject to the request:
- A check or money order in the full amount charged for each certificate [current charges: $10.00 for each certificate][please do not send cash by mail][checks or money orders payable to The City of Lawrence];
- Please provide a self-addressed, pre-stamped envelope with the address of the location where the documents are to be sent [please be sure to provide sufficient postage for requests with multiple documents];
Special Mail Arrangements:
Any special mail arrangements [ie: overnight mailing, two day mail, return receipt mail] must be pre-paid in advance. Otherwise, all completed requests will be sent by regular mail.
Mail all requests to:
City of Lawrence, MA
Attn: Office of the City Clerk
200 Common Street
Lawrence, MA 01840
For your safety and for the protection of sensitive records, the Office of the City Clerk will not respond to requests for specific information regarding any record by telephone, e-mail, or fax.