The Conservation Commission consists of 5 full time members which serve 3 year terms. Council approval is not needed.
The Conservation Commission shall have the following responsibility:
- Under General Law Section 8C. A city or town which accepts this section may establish a conservation commission, hereinafter called the commission, for the promotion and development of the natural resources and for the protection of watershed resources of said city or town.
- Planning; Fostering land use patterns protective of natural resources through preparing and implementing Open Space and Recreation Plans and offering assistance and advice to local planning boards.
- Preservation; Assuring the permanent protection of important local land and water resources through conservation land acquisition under the Conservation Commission Act and Community Preservation Act.
- Stewardship; Management of conservation lands for a variety of benefits, including to foster biodiversity of species and habitats and to provide appropriate recreational uses tied to the nature of the particular conservation area.
- Regulation; relating to use of conservation lands and the protection of wetlands and floodplains under the Wetland Protection Act and by local Bylaws and ordinances.
- Recreation; Passive (and to some degree active) use of open space.
- Productive or Economic; represented by appropriate, environmentally sound agriculture, forestry and fishing on conservation lands.
- Education; encouraging a conservation ethic in the community.
- Coordination; working with group’s non-profit environmental organizations, etc. in the interest of natural resource protection.
All members of boards, commissions, authorities, and committees of the city, whether appointed by the mayor or the city council, shall be residents of the city unless otherwise provided for in the General Laws or in the Municipal Code, with the exception that no more than three members of the airport commission may be nonresidents. All applicants must be residents of the City of Lawrence. Download the application (PDF). Boards and commissions applications are also available at the:
City of Lawrence, Office of the Mayor Daniel Rivera
200 Common Street
Lawrence, MA 01840
The deadline for applications is until selected and filled. Please send your application to the Mayor's Office. Said appointment is subject to the appointment of the Mayor Daniel Rivera and the confirmation of the Lawrence City Council. The City of Lawrence is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Daniel Rivera, Mayor