- 2nd Monday of every month (subject to change)
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
Jonas StundzaChairmanPhone: 978-685-4478
David MeehanVice ChairmanPhone: 978-683-2182
Kate HernandezTreasurerPhone: 978-884-3912
The Lawrence Historical Commission consist of 7 full time members which serve up to 3 year terms.
The Historical Commission shall have the following responsibilities:
- The historical commission shall have all of the powers and duties granted to historical commissions by General Laws, chapter 40, section 8D, and acts in amendment thereof and in addition thereto. The commission shall have, but not be limited to, the following general powers and duties.
- To conduct a survey of Lawrence buildings for the purpose of determining those of historic significance, architecturally or otherwise, and pertinent facts about them, and to maintain and from time to time revise detailed listings of historic sites and buildings in Lawrence, and data about them, appropriately classified with respect to national, state or local significance, to period or field of interest, or otherwise;
- To arrange for preparation and publication of maps and brochures and descriptive material about Lawrence historic sites and buildings, arrange for convenient walks or tours, or otherwise; To cooperate with and advise the community development department, the planning board, the redevelopment authority, and other city agencies in matters involving historic sites and buildings;
- To cooperate with and enlist assistance for Lawrence from the National Park Service, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities, and other agencies, public and private, from time to time concerned with historic sites and buildings;
- To advise owners of historic buildings in Lawrence on problems of preservation;
- To make recommendations with respect to any place determined by the commission to be of historical or archaeological landmark or nominated to the National Register of Historic Places;
- To enter into contracts with individuals, organizations and institutions for services or for cooperative endeavors furthering the objectives of the commission's program; and
- To seek and accept gifts, contributions, bequests and grants of funds from individuals, foundations and from federal, state and other governmental bodies for the purpose of furthering the commission's program.
- The Planning Department shall provide technical and clerical assistance to the historical commission.
All members of boards, commissions, authorities, and committees of the city, whether appointed by the mayor or the city council, shall be residents of the city unless otherwise provided for in the General Laws or in the Municipal Code, with the exception that no more than three members of the airport commission may be nonresidents. All applicants must be residents of the City of Lawrence. Download the application (PDF). Boards and commissions applications are also available at the:
City of Lawrence, Office of the Mayor Daniel Rivera
200 Common Street
Lawrence, MA 01840
The deadline for applications is until selected and filled. Please send your application to the Mayor's Office. Said appointment is subject to the appointment of the Mayor Daniel Rivera and the confirmation of the Lawrence City Council. The City of Lawrence is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Daniel Rivera, Mayor