Durant Square

The triangle of land between East Haverhill and Berkeley Streets is shown in both the 1896 city annual report and also the 1896 atlas as Durant Square. It seems likely that Durant Square, which is next to part of the property he owned, was named after him.

Adolphus Durant was the original owner of much of the land in the area. During the early years of the City the land just north of Spicket River was known as the “Durant Lands”. Mr Durant was born in Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts in 1798. In 1825 he purchased land in what was then Methuen on Brook Street where he ran a successful paper mill for many years. He was instrumental in laying out Avon, Albion, Belmont, and Kendrick Streets. He died in 1885.

Satellite Map


Park Information

Name: Durant Square
Location: Intersection of Berkeley Street and East Haverhill Street
Hours: Dawn to Dusk

Fields: No
Field types: Not Applicable
Dugouts: Not Applicable
Spectator Seating: Not Applicable
Tennis Courts: No
Basketball Court: No
Lights: Not Applicable

Playground: No
Surface: Not Applicable
Jungle-Gym Not Applicable
Slide: Not Applicable
Swings: Not Applicable
Monkey Bars: Not Applicable
Picnic Tables: Not Applicable
Other: fountain
Fence: none

Restrooms: No
Type: Not Applicable
Handicapped Accessible: Not Applicable

Parking: No
Number of spaces: Not Applicable
Number of handicapped spaces: Not Applicable
Paved: Not Applicable