To obtain a Petition to Excavate or Obstruct, the application form for the work to be performed must be completed and presented to the Office of the City Clerk and the City Engineer.  If the location of the work may obstruct, reduce or impact public parking at any location, notification must be provided to the Parking Administrator/Contractor by the petitioner before the petition will be granted.

No permit for excavation in any street or way shall be granted or issued unless and until the applicant has filed with the City Clerk a performance bond to enable the street division of the Department of Public Works to complete any work not done to the satisfaction of the Director of Engineering of the City. The performance bond shall be in the amount of $2,000.00 for ordinary excavations and in the amount of $5,000.00 for extensive excavations. A blanket bond is acceptable under this section and shall be in the amount of $10,000.00. (Ord. dated 8/17/99 § 12 (part); prior code § 24-5).  Any petitioner requesting the issuance of a trench permit shall comply with the provisions of G.L. c.82A, §2 and provide for a certificate of insurance with general liability coverage of $100,000.00 per person and $300,000.00 per claim or provide evidence of self-insurance in equal amounts.

In order to obtain a permit to excavate for sewer or drainage, the form provided specifically for sewer and drainage excavations must be completed and presented to the Office of the City Clerk, the Tax Collector and the Plumbing Inspector.

A “Tax Assessment and Verification” must also be completed identifying the owner and location of the property subject to the petition.  This form is provided with each petition.

A fee of $40.00 must be paid and received prior to the issuance of the permit.