City Of Lawrence

 

Stockton Park

The 1875 maps of Lawrence do not yet show the streets that would surround the park. The annual report of 1885 first recognizes the city parks, but that area was not yet so designated. However through due diligence the city’s annual report of 1897 notes that during the month of April the Essex Company deeded to the City Park Commission a triangular piece of land of 16,268 square feet at the junction of South Union Street and Winthrop Avenue (later also bound by Dorchester Street). The condition of this gift was that the City spend $1500 on the land within two years. “The park has been named Stockton Park for the treasurer of the Essex Company.” The city proceeded to curb the park the next year. Howard Stockton served as the Essex Company treasurer from the 1880s to 1931.

Satellite Map


Park Information

Name: Stockton Park
Location: intersection of Route 114, Union Street, and Exeter Street
Hours: Dawn to Dusk

Fields: No
Field types: Not Applicable
Dugouts: Not Applicable
Spectator Seating: Not Applicable
Tennis Courts: No
Basketball Courts: No
Lights: No

Playground: No
Surface: Not Applicable
Jungle-Gym Not Applicable
Slide: Not Applicable
Swings: Not Applicable
Monkey Bars: Not Applicable
Picnic Tables: No
Other: none
Fence: none

Restrooms: No
Type: Not Applicable
Handicapped Accessible: Not Applicable

Parking: On street
Number of spaces:
Not Applicable
Number of handicapped spaces: Not Applicable
Paved: Not Applicable